Wednesday 26 August 2015

Lemon Water: A Love Affair


Ah lemon water. I have been an avid drinker of lemon water for a while now and I am soaking in the benefits of its citrus-y goodness. To begin with, I thought I’d explain how I, myself, like to drink it, since I have seen various different methods across the internet and this one I have procured for myself is by far my favourite.

You Will Need

1 Lemon
1 Jug
1 Mason Jar or Glass
1 Knife


Step One
Grab the lemon and cut it in half. 

Step Two
Carefully cut a thin segment off of the end of each half and place them in the mason jar or glass. This will help to add flavour later on.




Step Three
Take one half of the lemon and squeeze all the juice you can into the jug. Then wrap the other half in cling film and place it in the fridge for safekeeping until you’re yearning for a second jug.


Step Four
Fill the jug with cold water, pour the lemon-y mixture into your chosen drinking utensil and voila! Hello hydration!


Secondly, for those of you who haven’t already perused through a million blog posts on this topic (like me), I thought I’d go over just a sample of those lovely benefits I mentioned earlier.

Morning Wake-Up Call
I’ve made it a habit to drink a jug (around a litre) of lemon water as soon as I wake up and before I devour my breakfast. Not only does this aid my digestion when I do come to feast, but it also gives a great boost of energy, without the problems of a mid-afternoon crash that caffeine oh-so-loyally delivers. 

Hello Nutrition
Lemon water consists of an abundance of lovely nutrients, here are just a few: it’s packed with vitamin C, which boosts the immune system, protecting us from pesky viruses; it flushes out toxins and balances the body’s pH levels; and it is a fantastic source of potassium, which is great for the heart, brain and nerves. 

Increased Fluid Intake 
This may seem like a rather silly and unscientific one compared to the rest of the list but, nevertheless, I’m going to run with it. Drinking enough fluids has always been a great problem of mine. I honestly believe I’ve spent the majority of my life dehydrated, as I have to make a conscious effort to force myself to drink something. I feel that the delicious and refreshing taste of ice lemon water has done wonders for me in this area. For the first time in my life, I want to drink 3 litres of water a day…as long as it has that gorgeous citrus-y aroma. 

Post-Workout Replenishment 
If, like me, 2015 is all about getting that ‘bikini body’ you’ve always wanted and finally feeling happy, healthy and confident in your own skin, lemon water should be your new best friend! A glass of this citrus-y goodness helps to replenish the salts our bodies lose after a vigorous workout.

Skin Problem Solver
Lemon water is bursting with lovely antioxidants, which act to prevent pesky blemishes and wrinkles from forming (yet another great benefit for me as a long-term sufferer of acne!). 

Tension Reliever
This last one is very important to me as I suffer from anxiety and am always searching for ways to combat it or, at the very least, ease the symptoms. I only recently discovered that lemon water has been found to reduce anxiety and depression, which only makes me want to chug down the magical substance more!

Are you a lover of lemon water too? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment